The ES(O)L SIG was set up in 2002 to provide a forum for teachers who teach English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and English as a Second Language (ESL). Our main interest is the provision of English language learning for migrants, refugees and asylum seekers who have come to settle in countries where English is a national language, e.g. the UK, USA, Canada and Australia.
While we share many aspects of methodology and teaching and learning with general ELT, the backgrounds of our learners and the contexts in which they learn English do differ and can affect classroom priorities. For example, learners need a focus on everyday language so they can communicate with their child’s school, access housing and find a job. Another example is the fact that some of our learners are not literate in their first language. This has a major impact on their language learning.
The award consists of:
- registration for the ES(O)L Pre-Conference Event
- registration for the IATEFL Annual Conference
- one year’s IATEFL and ES(O)L individual membership for the following year
- travel costs, including, if necessary, an economy flight to the UK up to a maximum of GBP 400.00*
- GBP 400.00 to help with other conference related expenses
*this includes the cost of flights and airport transfers but not the cost of stopovers
To qualify you must:
- be an IATEFL member
- agree to give a presentation or a workshop on an aspect of ES(O)L on the ES(O)L SIG day at the IATEFL Annual Conference
- agree to write up your presentation by the end of June 2016 for possible inclusion in the ES(O)L SIG newsletter
To be considered you must submit:
- a summary of between 400 and 500 words in which you:
1. provide a brief description of a specific challenge you are currently facing in your ES(O)L class(es)
2. outline the steps you have taken/are taking to address this
3. indicate how attending the conference could help you deal with the challenge
- an online speaker proposal related to a different ESOL topic by the scholarship deadline of 23rd July 2015
- a passport size photo (for inclusion in the conference programme and the scholarship poster should you win, please refer to the scholarship guidelines for photo requirements).
The submission deadline was 23rd July 2015.
The winners will be informed by Friday 4th September and other applicants by 11th September 2015. Please do NOT contact the IATEFL office about scholarship decisions; the Scholarship Working Party (SWP) will send everyone the results as soon as they are available.